View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
gary sullivan

LJ my first Big Butt

Lately I've been feeling no love from the yellowtail so I put the mini bat in my arsenal before heading to the pier for bait. I could see the bait swimming under my yak but they weren't interested in the sabiki. Along comes Vito and within a few minutes he was loaded up and heading out. He was kind enough to leave me some special chum he cooked up and that did the trick for me as well. I passed off the remainder to a few others and headed out to halibut city. A couple hours passed and it was dreadfully boring to the point I almost nodded off while drifting a greenie on a 3 oz. egg sinker. I looked at my spool and saw my mono backing showing through the spectra so I knew a lot of line paid out without me being aware. Started reeling it in and felt resistance and figured I hooked into some kelp until it start pulling back. That brown carpet came to the surface without much of a fight but after reading Adi's do's and don'ts for handling a big halibut, I quickly went through the mental drill. I gaffed him in the gut and brought him alongside to thread the rope through his gills and out the mouth. Once tied off I hit him on the head again and again. It took a couple of dozen vicious whacks before I felt confident that I could safely bring him aboard. He weighed out at 32 1/2 pounds with almost 20 pounds of fillets which should last me quite awhile. Now I can take a breather until the bite turns on again. I appreciate the pictures taken by Habenero, Lamb and Nmbrinkman. Gary

gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote