View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post

I use a krock about 98% of the time fishing for bass....
there's too much eel grass. you will always be removing it from your bait, after every cast. - LOLOL
NOW, i see why u were complaining about eel grass at top of thread.

i use Krocs & Crankbaits (Frenzy Diving Minnow & Fat Free Shad) at times in SDB, but usually only around the Shelter Island launch, where bay is more open, and only when no eel grass in the area i'm fishing.

but i usually catch Barrys, and occasional Bones & Corvina, with crankbaits & krocs, when used in Bays.
it is hard to keep these lures near bottom, unless you are fishing fairly shallow water,
and the shallows, often are infested with eel grass.

to get the Bay Bass in good numbers, you almost always HAVE TO BE FISHING ON THE BOTTOM !!

thus, the go to baits in Bays, especially for Bass, are curly-tail grubs, swimbaits, and Gulp shrimp, all on lead jig-heads.
(when i work 3 poles on deck simulatneously, these are often the 3 separate baits, that i have out drifting behind yak.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post

Grub or swimbait on a 1/2 ounce or 3/4 ounce jighead. Dropshot also works well.
i use 3/8 oz in Bays, when NOT in deep channels.

once I'm fishing over 35-40 ft depth, i use 1/2 oz for drifting thru channel.
when "drifting" with tide/current, the bait will stay on bottom even in deep channel, with 1/2 oz.

and i feel i get bit/hooked up more, with lighter jig weight.

on the nightmare days when tide/wind are opposing, and you can't get a good drift going, and thus need to cast & retrieve jigs... then i will use a 1/2 oz in shallower areas, and 3/4 oz in the deep channel, to keep it near bottom while cast & retrieve.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!

Last edited by Hobie-Pedaller; 07-09-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added info.
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote