View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #62
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Don't believe everything you read! Especially when it's not published in a peer reviewed scientific journal! A study of 15 Pacific bluefin caught off San Diego in August last year found levels of radioactive cesium 10 times higher than in fish caught in previous years and provide “unequivocal evidence” that the radiation came from Fukushima, researchers including Daniel Madigan and Nicholas Fisher said in a study published yesterday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Contamination levels, which the authors say are not a danger to public health, are likely to decline even though cesium has ‘biomagnification’ characteristics, meaning the concentration increases from prey fish to predators when cesium is consumed. That would be offset by the bluefin’s metabolism, which should excrete cesium at a rate of about 2 percent per day
So that's why those pup sealions are dying. They are eating too many Bluefin tuna

Yeah I figured that Bluefin and even possibly Albacore could end up with some trace contaminants but it's important to note that is because during their migration they fed on bait over there and then migrated here. It's not because the radiation has drifted across the ocean and is now contaminating our waters. I don't know about you but personally I do not catch too many kayak bluefin or albacore. I wish I did

The fish kayakers catch locally are clean and as you state even the most tainted Bluefin your likely to catch offshore is still going to be safe to eat.

So speaking of biomagnification how were the mercury levels in those same Bluefin?

Thanks for the post, and clarification!!!!

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-02-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote