View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The bajabound web site has a lot of good info on traveling to Baja. You just need to be ready to go with the flow. For instance, I went to Bahia Gonzaga in May with 10 other yakers. I went down a couple days early and stayed a week, while the rest stayed 3 or 4 days. I crossed at Mexicali and stopped at the immigration office just across the border to get my FMM. The normal process is to get the FMM at the immigration office, walk to a nearby bank and pay the fee, take the receipt back to the office and have the FMM stamped. Well I went to the office and filled out the form and they stamped it and told me to go to the bank and pay for it. When I asked if I should return with my receipt they said no. I looked for a bank but would not find one open so I just carried on. When I left Mexico I turned in the FMM and had no questions asked of me. As far as I know, I was the only one of the 10 yakers on the trip that even got an FMM and I never paid for it. My only advice would be to make your best effort to do the right thing, smile, be friendly, and roll with the punches.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote