View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Mission Bay, 9-23-13

Launched from the Ski Beach Launch ramp at about 6:00am. Offshore breeze at launch time and died about 7:30. Around 9:30 the onshore picked up. Water was very clear and temps ranged from 66.1-67.6º.

Started off working a high spot off of the bridge for 2 short spotties. Moved over near Sea World for a legal spot that would've gone maybe 2lbs. Tried the a few spots along the buoy line (the one with the big square bouys) for a bunch of short bites and torn baits, but no love. Finally, I moved over by the launch ramp and worked the inside buoy line for 1 micro sandy, 2 really nice spots and lots of missed opportunities. Even though I had finally found some biting fish I was sore and ready to head home. Off the water by 11:15.

Only one swimbait fish, it was the first legal and came on a gold/chart. 4" Flurry on a Slayer head. The rest of the fish and bites were on T-rigged baits. Swimmin' Senkos took 2 fish, Pumpkin seed for one fish and green with red and green flake took another. The last 3 fish and most of my missed ones were on 5" Zoom Flukes. Baby Bass was the ticket.

I wish my back and shoulder hadn't been hurting so much, I'm sure I could've picked away at the bass for a while. Lord knows I missed probably 6 fish for each one I caught. Lots of pants pulling down today.

Only saw one other kayaker (fishing anyways) and he seemed to be moving as much as I was. I hope he did better than me. Anyways, I had fun and it was nice to be down south again. So much better than Newport.