View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 03:52 AM   #85
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
As someone who's armed more times than not I will tell you that I believe that it is against the law to carry a firearm on a kayak while fishing in California waters (LJ for example). Plus I know for a fact that it's illegal to fire a firearm within a certain distance from the shoreline.
You raise some good points.

So.... I did some checking.

This is from Carrie Wilson at the DFG/DFW

Carrie Wilson, Associate Marine Biologist
primary contact for the Region 7 (Marine)
Carrie.Wilson@wildlife.ca.gov • (831) 649-7191

"There is a California Penal Code law that allows anglers to carry a gun while fishing and while hiking to and from their angling site. California Penal Code, section 12025 prohibits carrying concealed firearms in California, however, section 12027 provides the following exemption to this prohibition: “Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.”

That sounds to me like you can carry the weapon unloaded to your launch site and then have it loaded with you while fishing. Which is exactly what I've heard in the past.

Firing it is another matter. You can shoot it all you want once your three miles offshore as long as you do not fire it in a manner that endangers other people. Within three miles you could only fire it in a emergency situation. This only makes sense. You can have a loaded gun in your house but you can't walk out in your yard and discharge it without a damn good reason.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote