View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #35
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quick comment on fishing gear to get you started. Personally I wouldn't go out and spend money on higher end gear if you're new to kayaking and semi-new to fishing again. I can't speak for everyone else on here but I think it takes some time to get acclimated to kayaking and then kayak fishing. There is a lot that can go wrong and you'll run the risk of losing gear, better less-expensive gear than top-end. Everyone takes a spill or two, some lose gear that way. Others have lost it by it sliding off the yak into the drink following a distraction. Leashes are a must but there's always those small moments when gear is not leashed and it only takes a moment. Also, if it's not lost then it's mildly abused initially. My first year out resulted in a submerged reel about a dozen times as a result of unhooking a fish and it slipping or just falling out of the holder during an attempted roll. I'm not saying never buy good gear, I just think there's nothing wrong starting with an Ugly Stik and Penn Jigmaster while mastering the basics. A lot of nice fish are landed on worse! Plus when you do upgrade you appreciate good gear and spending the money doesn't sting as much. Just my 2¢
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote