View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
GregAndrew

I recommend the air mattress also. The campsites down there are sand over something the consistency of hard sand stone. Don't even bother with the cheap wire tent stakes and bring a hammer of some type. Fill all the rings with stakes and bring extra tent rods if you have them. Please use caution at Gonzaga Bay with the prevailing winds, which are offshore. I would not recommend the location to anyone without experience in wind and wind-chop. General rule of thumb is "when you see the dust kicking up on the hills, way back behind and above the camp, it is time to head back". If you don't experience high winds at some point, you have just experienced a miracle. Megabaits, Irons and some topwater lures are the mainstays. You can use plastics, but not in the open water cause the Triggers will bite em in half. There are a couple of mini marts within 1 mile of the camp grounds, one with gas. Pangas are available at Papa Fernandez' camp. I think we only went through 2 or maybe 3 checkpoints crossing at Mexicali, but one is between Papa's and the marts, and the beach camp grounds are on the other side of the marts. Last year they were 1 bridge completion from paving all the way beyond the bay. Campo Beluga, where we stayed, had flush toilet outhouses and fresh water shower stalls (not heated).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote