View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
tattuna

1st time I went camping ever was in Gonzaga in 2004. I've been back at least once a year ever since. Like Greg mentioned the winds are no joke! They'll topple your tents. Be sure to bring some rope to tie your tent to the palapa to help keep it from caving in on you. The winds there usually blow from 30-40 mph anywhere from a few hours to a few days at a time.

I've only camped at Campo Beluga since it has restrooms and showers. $20 a night per palapa. Each palapa can fit 3 or 4 tents comfortably. You can camp at Papa Fernandez or Alfonsinas but neither have showers unless you rent a room.

A good site to check out is the webcam at www.papafernandez.com. I think it takes a picture every 30 minutes. A good source to check the days before your trip to check on conditions.

This is a pic we took at the webcam a few years ago. Flat calm that day but 40+ mph winds that night turned the bay into a raging rough sea. The average tides are around 30 feet.

You guys are gonna love it there! Bring lots of jigs and prepared to get freight trained by the grouper and snappers that rule the reef. I can't make it in April but I hope to get down there this year.

Another thing worth noting is to know the difference between a totouava and a wsb. They both can be found in that area that time of year and look fairly similar. Biggest difference is the totouava will land you in jail. The totouava is usually a little more bronze in color and sometimes has spots on the dorsal fin. I don't remember if they have a "zipper" like wsb.