View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #19
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlers View Post
When my kayak gets here in the next few days i will be headed out to LJ to surf launch. I will be going with only my yak my self and paddle and paddle leash. My goal is to launch from the surf be able to yak past the breakers flip my self a few times get back in the yak over and over while flipped and then ride a wave back in.

If i can manage to make it past the breakers and do all the things i want to do to learn my yak. I think ill be good for my next launch out of the bay

what do you guys think
First of all you don't say if it's a sit on top or a sit in Yak. If it's a sit in Yak, forget all about going out in the surf or ocean. If it's a sit on top start in the bay (mission bay) because it is not as deep. Then paddle out to within 30 yards from shore flip yourself over and pull yourself back in. Hopefully you have watched some of the videos that are on U-tube on getting back in your Yak. It is not a good idea to try this without knowing what is the proper technique. If you have not done it before you could get very tired real quick. Once you know the correct way it is very easy. You will find that the boat wakes in the bay can be a real good way to get to know how to keep your balance when the waves are coming from different angles. The surf is totally different and you can go learn that once you are more accomplished in controlling you Yak. There are also great learning videos that Jim Sammons put on U-tube about surf landings. Do yourself a favor and watch all of these so you don't endanger you life, there are enough things to worry about when your out there. There are plenty of boaters and jet skiers who won't see you or are just stupid and don't know rules of navigation. Take your time to learn correctly and stay safe. There is lot out there to enjoy when you can trust your skills.