View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
fresh to salt

First LJ Report 4-7-14

So after weeks of planning, I finally made it out to La Jolla for the second time but the first time on my "new" yak. Met up with my buddy zfish at the launch at 0900 as he had to work until 0800 and we set up and launched around 0930. We had planned on throwing iron while searching for the yellowtail in between 200-300' of water but only marked a couple that weren't interested in what we were throwing. Every group of birds crashing and circling we chased down were just following small pods of dolphins... Luckily, we also decided to bring a rock fishing setup each if the yt were too elusive so we each caught 4 nice rockfish at random stops. The morning was perfect as the water was like glass. We could sit on structure and keep the lines straight up and down but after around 1200 the wind picked up and tended to push us off the structure pretty quickly. All in all a great day on the water doing about 10-12 miles of searching. Zfish was surprised and impressed that I had brought out a full growler of Refuge's Illusion IPA for us and that definitely made the day even better! Back to the beach we went with no capsizing while landing for either of us... knock on wood for the future. The fish tacos were awesome with some more Refuge beer and a glass of iced Sangria for the lady friend. Tight lines and good eats to all!
Attached Images

fresh to salt is offline   Reply With Quote