View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 01:01 AM   #480
fongman

I'm running 2 LIFEPO4 batteries; a 6v and a 12v. To minimize the handling of the batteries, I found a plastic container that is almost the perfect fit for 2 SLA type batteries. Since they are so light, I always keep both of them in the box, even if I only need one. Another advantage of keeping them together, I can use a 4-wire SAE connector which allows me to make all of the electrical connections at the same time.

This also works for charging both batteries together. To connect the chargers to the batteries, I made an SAE adapter. On the opposite end of the adapter, I use a 2-pin male Molex connector for the 12v charger and a female connector for the 6v charger. This ensures the wires to the chargers are always connected correctly, because only the male connector on the 6v charger will connect to the 6v battery adapter leads and the female connector on the 12v charger will only connect to the 12v battery.

I store the battery in front of the sail post on my Hobie. I have a small container that is gooped into place that doubles as a dry box.

When I need the batteries, I have the option of putting the battery box inside of the dry box or on top of it. A nylon strap with a quick-release clip secures it in place.

fongman is offline   Reply With Quote