View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Honcho

La Jolla 4-13-14

Being Palm Sunday, the family attended service and then we booked it out to La Jolla...as soon as we found parking, we unloaded and headed to the beach with our gear. The wind was starting to blow but wasn't too bad, the water on the otherhand was cold, my FF was reading 58.6. Ran into Matt on the beach and he was telling me about the lack of bait and small rock fish and he was there since 6 am ( it was around noon when we talked), was getting discouraged to say the least. But my son didn't care he was determined to go out and make a good day of it. Couldn't argue with him, so we geared up and started through the waves, not too bad, we have a Hobie Tandem, so he (10yrs) got soaked from the waves crashing the bow, but had a smile on his face and kept peddling...made it out safe. About 15 mins later we went to the Rock Cod grounds and hit instantly...got couple decent size Vermilion, but alot of shorts that we didnt want to take, so they went back to grow bigger. Then we saw a 20' boat poach our spot, so we left to see if we can make bait and hunt for YT or WSB...tied to a kelp and my son was determined to make bait (picture of him intent on making it happen)...perseverance pays off and made about a dozen or so good sized macs (lots of scads, smelt)..but unfortunately the wind started to pick up and started to get big swells, so we looked at each other and decided to head back in. But he wanted to see if we can get more rock fish on the way in...(think I have fishing partner for life hoping to get out next week and try it again...
Attached Images

Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote