View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #487
Baja Belk
Junior

Stealth 12 Dragonfly Install

This is my first post here (I think...........I know I signed up like a year ago). I've had the yak for a year (first one in line at the Spring OEX blem sale in Compton!! Super sketchy night of no sleep!!!), and it's time to trick it out.

I have the Raymarine Dragonfly mounted on my Striper center console. Purchased a second cradle and transducer kit for the yak so I can move the unit back and forth for cost-effectiveness. Decided to sacrifice the cupholder for a low center of gravity and clean fit. I hate clutter, and I hate crap sticking up awkwardly from a kayak like an ABS plumbing pipe explosion. Not my jam.

Here's what I did last week:

Testing out clearances and mounting location.

It appears my transducer may fit the curvature of the hull channels JUST right...or at least close enough.

Aaaaaaaahhhh!!! Hacksaw to a $100 CHIRP transducer!!!!

Like a glove!!

Mounting the baseplate for the cradle was a giant pain. I don't even want to relive that misery with a recap.

Fully mounted: nice tight tolerances...

Ran the wires up through the aft foot well scupper, into the console, wrapped the excess around the inside mold of the cupholder (will be mounting an inverted PVC drain cap to keep the wires in place, and back out through the top of the console with clamshell wire clamps. Nice and clean.

Secured the transducer with a liberal amount of 5200. It's not going anywhere. The front leading edge is not completely recessed or flush, but it's pretty darn close. As long as I'm careful around rocks, I think it's going to work out just fine.

Finished product!

Next up is some finishing touches to clean up the wires, and the installation of the battery box and wiring.

- Belk out
Baja Belk is offline   Reply With Quote