View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
momo fish

Respect the ocean and weather

Been debating sharing this and after a few days of shaking it off and some time to recoup figured it's worth sharing even as I have heard similar things happened to others in then past and recent. I am both embarrassed but grateful to have come out of it alive frankly.

Last Friday met up with buddy Matt (Flyak13) to fish Malibu. Matt was already on water so I joined him after dropping kids at school. I checked conditions the night before and had also drove by the day before to scoop it out. Only concern was heavy 15 to 20 winds predicted at 5:00pm. Launched pretty easy and joined Matt a few minutes later. We end up going some distance out to fish deep and things were a little windy and small swell but pretty normal. Wind died down and conditions were great by noon.

Enjoying the day and having fun catching fish for a couple of hours with no one else in sight. Soon it's about 4ish and wind starts to pick up so we start heading closer to shore and stop after finding fish and start pulling non-stop drop after drop. Almost forgetting that conditions were getting worst and worst. Before I know it there is white caps all around me and swell were easily 3 to 4 and fast. At this point I'm still not thinking much as I have been in these conditions in the past (but on a bigger kayak) and never worried. Matt says we should head back closer to launch and I agree. I decided to try for one more fish and bring it in quickly and look up as Matt is already about a block length away. I pack up rods and start to pedal in.

As I am trying to catch up to Matt the swells at this point are at solid 4 feet as I would completely disappear in-between swells. The wind was blowing hard and there are white caps all around me. My first panic moment was looking ahead and seeing kite/wind surfers near the beach. Second panic moment was when I realized I didn't have much control of rudder as swell, wind would just turn my kayak in any direction.

I struggle to turn the kayak so I'm not sideways and soon I am somewhat back in control. A few minutes later I'm a bit lax and just happy for the great fishing we had and being careless as I pedal to Matt. (Regardless of all the whitecaps around me and the wind ). All of a sudden I turn to my left and see WHITE water coming over my shoulder and all I can think is "ohh shit!" Soon I'm in the water trying to get my head above water but kept hitting head on kayak and somehow could not move my left leg. I struggled to get my head above water and swim for that matter as turns out my leg got wrapped around rod leash. Tried to stay calm and grabbed on the kayak and after a few minutes managed to free my leg. All the while I'm screaming for Matt to come help but as far as I could see he was to far to hear.

At this point I'm struggling to just keep my head above water and hold on to kayak as waves kept hitting. Fear starts to set in and I think about family/friends and not making it back to see them. I take deep breaths and start to calm myself down and soon I'm composed again. I see almost all my fish, some gear, radio, paddle and other items float away but I recall reading you ALWAYS stay with your kayak so I did. Soon I hear Matt and I am getting cold and trying not to panic so not to make Matt panic as well. I had never flipped a kayak before and tried quickly without help and there was no way I could off given the conditions. Matt grabbed the kayak and I managed to get up over to flip it. Once I got back on it was completely filled with water and could not stay balance with holding on to Matt's kayak. Didn't bring my pump and proceeded to empty it with a water bottle. Took about 20 minutes and soon we were heading back to beach very careful. I landed the kayak with just the
Mirage drive and I cannot tell you how happy I was to be on land safe.

My lessons were this and I only blame myself as I know better;

1- Always leash your paddle
2- Alwaya keep your radio in your vest or attached to kayak. Mine was floating glow in dark but all that didn't matter at that moment.
3- When weather picks up stow everything or at least throw inside kayak quickly.
4- Stay close to others for safety and stop fishing !!
5- bring your pump and don't leave in car! Have a plan to reflip your kayak if alone.

6- Trust the weather forecast. For real.

I want to give a huge thank you to Matt!! I honestly don't know what would of happened if you were not there. I can't even think about what could of happened as it scares me to be honest and if that makes me a wussy so be it. I gained enormous respect for the ocean that day. On my way home saw this beautiful sunset and want to see many more.

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote