Thread: LJ 1-21
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
jscott

Sat/Mon

I took down 3 guys (Eric, Steve, Julio) to LJ on Sat and Monday to see if I could get them into the fish I got on Tuesday. Saturday-- we went toward pier...spent 45 minutes making macs-- finally found some perfect ones and then went out to the San Diego Zoo (ARMADA of boats/yaks)! As we got there...they were on the tail end of a big bite. We get in the right spot and unfortunately the bite dies. The trick was to get out early to the spots-- make LIVE squid and use these off the bottom. Eric did end up hooking up...and after about a 10-15 minute sleigh ride and the vertical fight-- HEARTBREAK! Popped off! Nothing else for the day for us. Change of plans-- Monday we were set to go with Candy Catchers and went out. It was cold, choppy, swell/surf up, and totally different conditions than Sat flat/warm day! Tough to find the squid early-- as sunrise came, we got into them. I figured out the trick and got about 2 doz worth. (Until I snagged my candy catcher on some kelp and lost it!-- Damn-- $13 down the drain!) Split the squid around between Julio and Steve and we are hopeful with the RIGHT STUFF! We are working it in depths from 175' to 75' for nada! Julio managed to pick up a decent calico just outside the reserve...but that was it for us. I didn't see nor hear of a single YT caught by yakker or pber. I think the bite has officially died with the change in weather. Let's hope that since the squid are still there-- that they stick around and the bite returns soon!
Good luck all!
Jason
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote