View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Hey I wasn't drunk! Beer is way too expensive on the boats to get drunk

I can totally agree with safety issues and boat rules, but for a professional charter boat captain to not know the F&G rules and wrongly claim something is illegal in CA is what I think is unacceptable. His bad information gets passed on to hundreds if not thousands of other people that might not know any better.

Otherwise he did a great job of getting us on the fish all day and I wouldn't have a problem with going on his boat anytime.
Alan,
With all due respect, I enjoy your posts.
However I feel I have to "chime in" on your criticism of the Captain on this one.
Do you have any idea of all the regulations that is required to know to pass the CC skipper's license? Then also be aware of all the various fishing regulations and yearly changes to these regs?
Our regulations have become so complicated and vast along with vague.
This sounds like an argument I have with many people when I observe and submit my report on an accident/collision.
I am a Federal D.O.T. Instructor, special investigator (motor vehicle and marine) and CA D.M.V. Examiner, people tend to define laws as it pertains to their point of view/opinion!
This Skipper could have been erring on the side of caution to protect you from a ticket (just an observation and opinion NOT Fact).
Again no disrespect or insult intended just something to think about.
Tight lines and full limits,
FFY

Skrilla also make a good point!
Alan, I know your knowledgable about fishing from reading your posts. I don't know if you were on a local or offshore boat (that info would've been helpful) You know that when on the troll (you mentioned) it's imperative to get the lead fish to the boat which brings the school to the boat.. If you're using a second rod and your trolling rig gets bit what are you going to do?
Aside from liability issues from injury to another passenger due to an "unattended rod" or your unattended line causing a clusterf__k the skippers and deckhands are concerned about getting that fish count to get people on the boat and you're sabotaging the possibility of turning a great day to a fair one (remember the "golden rule" no angles no tangles!
Remember these guys only have 3-4 months in order to make $ unless they also operate Long Range. Over the last few years many operations have gone away due to the economy and the lack of really good fishing!
Does ANYONE remember 20+ years ago when there would be 40+ Boats on the water during the summer and every "limited load" and open party boat was full?

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-14-2014 at 09:50 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote