Thread: Advice?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #42
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
As far as why braid, I have it already and I will try it on a couple of rods. But I agree, if I am comfy with mono, then mono it will be. I will look into those Mustads you are talking about. Thank you again, I depend on the good advice for such a once in a lifetime trip! Means a lot to me, and I love this community for just this reason!

Janine
Janine, I just want to clarify the issues of hooks. I wasn't recommending the 34007 SS hooks as bait hooks. I use them for tying flies.
Personally I exclusively use (the "Gucci") Owner Mutu or Super Mutu hooks for bait. I rarely use J-hooks anymore as the mortality rate for gut hooked fish is very poor and circle hooks normally catch in the corner of the mouth. So if I catch a fish I don't feel is big enough to keep I can release it fairly confidant that a release won't be fatal.

I also was going through one of my Long Range boxes and remembered that during an El Niño year ('83 I think) I was on a 7-day trip and we ran down south and ran into a school of Wahoo mixed in with some Tuna .
I lost a number of fish on bait and a couple jigs , so now I keep at least one spool of single strand wire (45# for 40-60# bait/jig tossing) and a couple welded rings in my box. You might want to see if any boats have run into any further north than normal otherwise don't worry about it. (This was just an afterthought!)
Other than that I wish you tight lines, all day action/stops and hefty limits,
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote