View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
The SX is too small for YT and WSB.....check out the drag rating...unless you are fishing 15-20lb.....the SX does not carry the necessary drag rating. I'm running a few MXL's with 30lb floro leader with 8-10lbs of drag.
The SX is rated 10-25lb
The MX is rated 15-30lb

Most rods and reels are designed and built to handle the middle range rating, some do better higher, others lower. But you never want to run the max drag on any reel, you are just asking for problems. Premature wear on the drivetrain and drag surfaces will result. Also remember that the more line that comes off your reel, the tighter the drag effect becomes, so the SX at half spool, will have a much higher drag ratio than the larger spool reels.
I've seen Tred Barta fight a huge marlin on a SX with 4lb test, but would I want to do that.....
Also, if you are fishing La Jolla, and are around the kelp and dogs, you are going to want that fish to get to the yak as soon as possible, heavier line test, and rod will help.
And yes the drag ratings are the same for both.

If you are running 25-30% of your line rating at the drag, running 20lb test on the SX will max you out at 6lbs of drag.
Do you want to handle a large fish around kelp and dogs with only 6lbs of drag?

I am running about 8-10lbs of drag on the MXL with 30lb floro leader but it still feels a bit loose when hooked up.

The SX is a bad *ss reel, and nice and light. Check out Charkbaits youtube videos about setting drag and matching up rods and reels.

Robfish setups seem matched pretty darn well, and could be used for examples.

Last edited by Lipripper92592; 11-11-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: name
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote