View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Here is the major problem I see with this entire scenario, BFT are highly migratory, and they move across international borders without impediment. The VAST majority of these fish are picked off by international fishing vessels, that scoop up the BFT and countless other species of "bycatch" . Until something is done to prevent the over harvesting of BFT by these entities we must bear the brunt of the regulations. Is it fair, no, is it something...yes. It is like carbon emissions, we here in California are driving more and more energy efficient vehicles, and reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, but developing countries continue to burn coal and oil at an alarming rate. We cannot control them and we will have to do our part to help regardless of how much it sucks. We have an obligation to the natural world to help if we can, decades of unchecked fishing across the globe have decimated BFT and if we impose lower catch limits we at least will be doing something to stem the tide of collapse of this fishery. By some estimates over 90% of the fish being caught are too young to have even spawned one time, that is just ridiculous. I for one love tuna, and I love sport fishing, I am willing to reduce my daily catch from 10 to 2 for the hope that maybe, just maybe my kids will have the some opportunity that I have been afforded, to catch a BFT. Join the CCA and let your voice be heard, contact your congressman and tell him to have the USA put sanctions on countires who overfish BFT and the like. We only have one ocean, and we are doing a really good job at decimating the fish stocks, once they are gone, we as humans are going to be witness to a ecosystem collapse on par with the ice-age extinctions, and our health and livelyhood depend on the health of the oceans, if the oceans die...we die...Simple as that.

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote