View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 05:05 AM   #9
walrus

Here's my experienced opinion on using a Stealth with bait pump. After six months I quit using the bait pump all together, and just pulled the drain plug.

I liked ten sardines or macs. They would be fresh and lively after several hours in the tank. However, you should experiment with the number because the water level depends on the stealth size (weight capacity) and your weight.

The one inch drain hole was large enough that it did not require me to be on the move to keep the water fresh. A screen is required.

One reason the bait was still fresh was a pump creates a current in the tank, bait will wear down constantly swimming in a current.

I also took out the window hatch and replaced it with a solid twist and lock. every time your arm or leg cast a shadow over the window hatch the bait will panic, this wears them down and they sometimes they'll get injured. Open the smaller hatch (not the entire lid) a minimum amount, slip your hand in, and you'll often find them still leisurely circling in the tank until your fingers wrap around them. It's the shadows above that spooks them.

Remember, if you're a fresh water fisherman or you go ashore when you get out of the kayak, it floats higher and no water is left in the bait tank for the bait. If you go ashore, a bait pump is needed.

Good luck, this is just my experiences.