Thread: Dana 9/12/15
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
King Saba

Dana 9/12/15

Before I begin, thanks again for the parking info everyone.

Yesterday my buddy and I hit Dana, my first trip there, for bonita and yellowtail. We paddled out of the harbor went a little to the left, where left? I don't know since I don't own a gps and didn't bother to pull up my phone . We jigged for a half hour making some greenies with little difficulty. They ranged anywhere from 8-12", perfect size IMO. The secret bait was spoiled yellowtail skins I had leftover from a yellowtail given to me by an uncle.

After making bait we paddled out to what I can only assume was 50'+ water and began to troll. About 30 min into the troll my larger mac was slammed, thinking it was yellow I excitedly allowed the fish to run when the line slacked off and then picked up again. Initially I thought it was a dog but later found bonita bite marks on the greenie. Poor fish. We trolled some more until I gave up and paddle towards the kelp to kill the skunk with calicos. Calicos I did not catch but I managed a barely legal cuda on the UFO jig.

A while after I met up with my buddy and again hooked up instantly on the UFO while casting at a kelp paddy. It was a bonita which came unbuttoned as a result of me horsing in the fish. Fortunately, I managed to nail one on a slow trolled dead mac. Them bones sure do pull hard.

Later in the day my buddy finally manged a bone on the colt sniper and a few more, plus a cuda on the kroc.

On the water at 0745 and off by 1400. Overall it was a fun and successful trip in my book and an awesome first time at Dana.

Overcast days sure are great.

King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote