Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
NO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
NO, do not think it is legal in California.
RE: "harpoons"

From the DFW website:

Methods of Take: When angling, no more than one line with two hooks attached may be used. A harpoon, gaff, or net may be used to assist in taking a Pacific halibut that has been legally caught by angling. See California Code of Regulations Title 14, Section 28.95, for additional restrictions on the use of harpoons. Take by spearfishing is allowed pursuant to California Code of Regulations Title 14, Section 28.90.

Trying to sort these things out can be confusing. They talk a lot about Pacific halibut, not so much about California halibut. I find less, not more restrictions on California halibut. I can not find any further restrictions in the actual regulations. I DO find lots of 3rd party interpretations, and embellished interpretations of these unofficial interpretations that are all over the place to varying degrees.

I think what I'm thinking about would be a "3 1/2 ft. hand-held straight halibut gaff with a detachable flying head" -- it isn't thrown like a harpoon, it's tethered to the kayak like my hook gaff, it's a thrust rather than a pull, and it doesn't employ the use of buoy's the way harpoon fishing does. This straight gaff is used to assist with the safe final landing of a large halibut caught by angling with a hook and line.

Or maybe if we detach the lanyard from the kayak and jump in the water first, it becomes a spear with a breakaway tip under Sec 28.90

Oy.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-10-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote