View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #3
Fish Taco

Look... I grew up in SoCal... but spent 12 years on Long Island, NY recently (moved back to SoCal 2 yrs ago)... but took on kayak fishing for the first time while in NY. I belonged to the KFA-NY club (Kayak Fishing Association of New York). They stress safety in our sport, and rightly so. PFDs and Cold Weather Gear are serious considerations for your safety back there... we're talking c-c-c-cold water temps in the fall, winter, and spring. Enough so that to turtle in those conditions unprepared could lead easily to death... hypothermia is no joking matter. Read up on it, seriously.

I know that the water temps here are currently very warm. But yes, even in the winter here in SoCal... hypothermia is a concern... especially if things go badly quickly.

My Immersion Research drysuit may be an expensive investment.... but as they say... how expensive is your funeral? I have two teenage kids, and a wife... I take my safety seriously when on the water in my kayak. Staying warm and dry should something go awry is my first concern. $600 bucks. Ask yourself. Is it worth your life? I know this is SoCal... and temps aren't quite the same as New York... but hey... if you're in the water for an extended time... hypothermia is a real threat to your safety. Kokatat, IR, and many others out there offer protection from the elements. Ask yourself... do I want to come home in a body bag, or prepared for the worst case in a drysuit? You never know. I had a hard time pulling the trigger spending so much on a safety device as a drysuit, but I also have peace of mind that if sh*t happens, I'm prepared to stay in the water if need be until rescued.

I may rarely use it out here in SoCal, compared to what I would've used it in New York, but I'm glad I own it... and when water temps drop... you can count I'll have it on. Food for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0930_zpsuu0nnzjq.jpg (42.7 KB, 342 views)

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote