Thread: Gaff length
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
skrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I would probably think differently if I did not have the 6 rod tubes on the PA14, but since I do, I like to have a long light gaff. I have been experimenting with different lengths, and so far like 5'. I also prefer to buy a stainless steel hook and grind it barbless rather than buy the galvanized gaff hooks that will rust out eventually. I use light bamboo, so that if I drop the gaff it will float. Only fault to bamboo is strength....have to be mindful and gaff near the head. Mid body and aft shots can snap light bamboo on bigger fish.
Out here we use calcutta bamboo. Heavier than your backyard variety but stronger and yes it still floats. I have a few sets getting used and abused on the local sportboats and non have broke. The Mustad gaff hooks have developed some surface rust ( they live on deck 24-7-365 ) but still have years of life left. I imagine hundreds, if not thousands, of fish have been landed on em. I'm sure they've got more than their money's worth out of those things by now.

My personal gaffs barely have any surface rust. A freshwater rinse, towel dry, and a coat of cooking oil once in awhile goes a long way.