View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #32
Goose1993

Jorluval and hammerhead

Yaa I have swam with a life jacket. It's a pain in the ass. Especially since they probably were wearing clothes and probably salvaged some gear before their kayak went down. Not to mention it was rough waters.

I'm not saying it's not a difficult swim, I'm just saying .5 miles is a really short distance to make a mayday call just to get to the shore. If they felt in danger they made the right call though. I guess I'm just looking at it from my own abilities and views. I'm a strong swimmer and would rather help myself that wait for the coastguard to dispatch from mission bay.

But trust me, if I felt in danger, I would immediately radio in. But I like to trust myself to get myself out of harms way. On my last central coast trip, I was a little over 1 mile offshore on the west end of the kelp at leffingwell landing. I got violently sick. I think food poisoning hit me or I got a rapid acting stomach bug. I was throwing up and got dizzy. I was considering radioing into to the coast guard, but I knew I was only a mile or so from shore and knew I would get anxiety if I waited a couple hours for the coast guard to get me from morro bay. I just powered through the pain and exhaustion and paddled in. Like I said, I like to rely on myself.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote