View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
BigAppa
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Bigappa,

Is a bilge pump something you take with you? Im sure it would hve been difficult to pump your boat out in those conditions because as soon as you start pumping you start drifting further away. But in smaller conditions, bilge pumps can prevent major problems.
Yeah, you're right. That was definitely part of the issue. I always keep a bilge pump, extra paddle, and emergency dry bag in the hull tied to a scupper. This is the first time I've needed any of those things. After I got back in my kayak and organized my gear as best I could, I opened my center hatch to see how much water got in. In my self rescue exercises, I noticed water would always get in the front hatch. Not a lot, maybe a pint or two. But on Tuesday, I don't know if the front hatch straps were loose or the currents were that strong, but there looked to be several gallons sloshing around in there after I righted my kayak.

The main issue was that the currents kept pushing my kayak broadside into the coming swells, into the 5 to 6 footers that were breaking at the top, and I did not want to flip again, but this time, with the center hatch opened. So I decided to forego the bilge pump and try to make it in.

I've thought a lot about the bilge pump issue the last couple days. Whenever I thought about having to use it, I never envisioned that the conditions would be so bad that I wouldn't be able to use it. Well, now I know. There are times when it's too risky, at least for me, to have the center hatch opened to pump the water out. The only solution I'm aware of is to put an electric bilge pump in the hull like some of the sit-inside kayakers have, and with a flip of a switch, pump all the water out through a hole in the side of the kayak. I've been thinking about installing one of those, but I've come to the conclusion that as a person who wants to keep things as simple as possible while I'm out on the water, it's just not for me. I think I'll just have to use better judgment going forward.
BigAppa is offline   Reply With Quote