View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
GregAndrew

I would guess that only about 1-5% of WSB caught are actually scanned for tags. But let's say it is 20% for arguments sake. That would put the actual catch of tagged WSB at around 100 per year if all were scanned right? Considering the attrition rate of any inshore species before reaching adulthood, I would consider it an accomplishment if the total number of released fish in the coastal population was 1,000 of the 1,000,000 released. Just like Sea Turtles, of the thousands hatched only a handful make it to adult size. If you think that all 1,000,000 were supposed to make it to 50lbers you need to consider the real fish world.

Also, the idea that any sickness is going to be transferred from these hatch-lings to the adult population is pretty nearsighted. There will be nearly zero chance of interaction of the juveniles with the adults (except as food). And deformities in fish (except in large size) is like them wearing a sign that says "Eat Me", cause predators key in on differences/weaknesses.

Personally, if Hubbs wants to keep funding the rearing and releasing of troubled species, I am all for it.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote