Thread: New lowrance FF
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 05:12 AM   #9
Fishin' Magician

I have that unit in both my Malibu Stealth 12 and X Factor. The Stealth 12 is thru hull and works fine. The X Factor has it installed beneath the kayak in a special niche so is basically transom mounted and is in contact with water. I can't honestly say that I've been able to tell the difference in functionality when used in either one. it's the same head unit, but two different transducers.

I did notice though that during the last time out with the X Factor I was actually seeing fish arches on the FF which I don't normally see when using the Stealth 12. Not sure if it has anything to do with how the transducer is mounted (Andy at OEX installed both).

When I contacted Lowrance about a problem that I was having with the head unit, the service rep told me that the transducers are intended to to be transom mounted, so for it to work properly it should be in contact with water. Take that for whatever you care to. It will work in a thru hull installation, but it may work better if in contact with water.

I'm just sayin'......