Thread: Hawaii Fishing
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
domtesta27

I was on a trip to Kona last year and will be going back again in May. My little brother is a Scuba instructor out of Kona and he hooked me up with a buddy who also had his own charter. PM me and I'll send you his info, great young captain who knows how to get on the fish. Fishing from shore isn't as good idea since there are no real flats on Kona like the other islands which have huge bonefish populations. I tried almost every morning and only caught lizard fish and some dinky blue crevalle.

First day I took the whole family out, we trolled for almost 6 hours and caught 1 marlin and a decent sized Wahoo. The only problem is those captains use massive rods and 400+ lb test on the line. I reeled the wahoo in in about 3 minutes and couldn't even feel a head shake...... pretty boring IMHO

Second day I only brought the 10 wt flyrod and had him take me straight to the tuna grounds. I would highly recommend this. I landed 8 YFT between 3 and 20 lbs and the sashimi was fantastic. Not only that but they would slam massive streamers on the surface just 15 ft behind the boat on a very fast retrieve, then go 150 to 200 yards into the backing a couple of times. So much fun!
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote