Thread: Hawaii Fishing
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #9
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
I've hired a kayak guide in Kona. We had some raked baits but none stuck. We did get to see some Humpbacks at the end of the season and the scenery was beautiful. The fish reports were low that week. It was fun nonetheless.
Who was the guide you hired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post

Fishing out of Kailua-Kona is probably very different than you're used to. Since the Big Island is a volcanic formation, the drop-off to deep water is very near shore, I'd guess within a half-mile, and very steep. We're talking maybe 300' very close in. I remember seeing the charters catching marlin just off shore as I was viewing from the beach. Lots of mahi-mahi and ono (wahoo) also to be had.

If you have the time and haven't firmed anything up when you leave the mainland, take a trip just north of Kailua-Kona to a "small" boat harbor in Honokohau and ask around. This is where most of the charters leave from and they'll be happy to get your business or point you in the right direction.

Good luck and let us know if you got out on a 'yak...

Thanks for giving me an idea of the island topography. I was going to bring my free diving fins and now I'm a little hesitant hehe. I'm leaning toward giving the kayaks a shot, depending on what kind of deal I can get on a private charter. Would love to land a Mahi on the yak. Fish so nice they named it twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtesta27 View Post
I was on a trip to Kona last year and will be going back again in May. My little brother is a Scuba instructor out of Kona and he hooked me up with a buddy who also had his own charter. PM me and I'll send you his info
PMed
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote