View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #25
aren_denman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
What are you doing to train? Try 3 6mile legs in a triangle nonstop thatway youre never too far from shore.
Have you ever flooded your yak at sea and pumped it out to remount in wind and waves? Do you have a pump?

Youre crossing a nasty channel trying to hit a speck of rock in a month that historically is one of the stormiest. Call me a goober if youre a mod but you do not sound prepared enough to do it. You sound like a statistic. Aren meet logistics.
I am confident in a 20 mile paddle, however, I have never trained with this much gear. You never know what can go wrong. I take your concerns seriously and will not do the trip if I feel like I am not prepared.

To answer your question I do not have a pump and have never been capsized in my kayak and in another post, I do not have a visibility flag with metal on top for shipping traffic.

My kayak is watertight, I just went through with marine epoxy on all the cracks, but as of right now, if I flip I am screwed. A pump is very necessary. I have a flare gun. I plan on communicating with coast guards and Island officials. (I will pay for every night I camp there.)

Some new items on my list - waterproof pump. vhf and plb system. GPS system. visibility flag (ill probably rig something up) And finally, a full understanding of the common wind, currents, and MPA (Marine Protected Area)
Thanks for the suggestions, keep em comin.

Last edited by aren_denman; 03-12-2016 at 08:04 AM.
aren_denman is offline   Reply With Quote