View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #19
Hye
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post
I'm far from an expert, however after talking to some of the more experienced yakers here on BWE, I peddle to just outside the break line, clip my drive into the upright position, pull up my rudder, look back and try and time the sets. Start paddling as hard and fast as I can. If I get lucky, I cruse all the way to ankle deep water, if not I sometimes have to jump off and ride the yak in from the back. The main thing I try to do is stay perpendicular to the beach.

And when launching, I have found what works for me is I just paddle as hard and as fast as I can until I am outside. Staying perpendicular is my main objective also, when launching. Trying to peddle or dropping my rudder, I usually get sideways and I have to paddle anyways to get straight again or flip.

I think the more experience guys on here could chime in and give us there tried and proven techniques...

Geno
I agree to this. Just to add a few things. When beaching wait for the last wave in the set and paddle hard as soon as it's passing you. This will help pick up momentum. Also while beaching always keep looking for a wave that might sneak up on you. If you see something developing that you can paddle in reverse and get back over it before it crests, do it. If you are sure you won't make it in time before it crests paddle hard forward in hopes the wave loses energy after it crashes and before it catches up to you. In my experiences beaching is harder than launching. Also, jumping out of kayak in waist high water is hard to run in. Getting hit by a wave after jumping out in water to deep sucks.
I have spent days with no gear on my outback. Just me, a wet suit, life jacket and paddle and hung out in the "kill zone". This I believe is very important in understanding what your kayak can do. I put myself in worst possible situations to see if I could ever recove from that. Found out you really can't recover from a 5' wave when it swallows you. Lol. But I also saw it didn't hurt as long as I was aware of kayak position and protected my head. Playing in the surf without gear has gave me great confidence. A few good surf launch and beaching vids on YouTube. One off the top of my head is "kayak fishing tales".

I have my drive leashed and removed before beaching and launching. Don't want to damage on rocks. 🍻
Hye is offline   Reply With Quote