View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Lipo batteries are about 4 volts per cell, so they are run in series to get your voltage, 3 in series, express as 3S would give you about 12 volts, then they are run parallel to increase the amps. Normally the higher the C rating the more expensive the battery is. You can run them in parallel as far as you like to increase amps. The higher the C rating the more usable power you have. As said in the previous post you need a dedicated charger for LiPo or you will blow the battery up. A LiPo fire is white hot and cannot be easily extinguished, it will burn a hole right through your kayak. Currently I run a 3S 4500mah 30C battery for my fish finder and run about 6 hours without getting it dangerously low. You cannot take the individual cells below 3 volts or it will ruin them, after 6 hours my battery is at 10.8 volts. Lithium Ion expressed as LiIon is safer to use but doesn't give you quite as much as usable power. Check Hobby King USA to get an idea about batteries and prices. How many amps does your motor pull?