View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #30
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
I heard if you mix 4200, 5200, 5200 fast cure, epoxy, marine goop, plumbers goop, vaseline, RTV silicone, and add a little water with a sprinkle of foam you get the bestest reading and bond.
This is why Grego catches so many fish!!

Seriously though, everybody has an opinion. Don't be confused by all the different methods. I have used all of the mentioned ways at one time or another. I even mounted a transducer like a rudder to get a good reading once (I don't recommend that one though ).. In the end, they can all work. some methods may give a little better picture due to densities and other considerations. However, more importantly, is that you get a good "clean" mount (no bubbles). Make sure the kayak is level when applying any adhesives, and be sure that it does not move until it is set. Epoxies will be difficult to remove from your transducer, but goop can be easily removed for another shot if you mess it up. Roughing the surface of the kayak and transducer slightly with sandpaper is helpful to maintain good adhesion with goop and some epoxies. If one method does not work for you, then try the next!

Good luck!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote