View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
taggermike

You might just want to use the launch ramp instead of carting/carrying your kayak across the lawn. If you go out Glorietta n turn right you'll be over a huge eel grass flat. Don't know that it has a name but I've always called it the Amphib flat. There can be good fishing all over this area; from in the center on out to edge where the bottom drops off in to the channel.

The channel in to Glorietta is maybe 20' but the main shipping channel in the center of the bay drops off rapidly to 60'+. Ive had good Hali fishing right on the edges of the grass beds. If bait is around you can frequently see birds working all over the grass flats.

Some report having consistent success on bone fish with lures but over the years I've caught exactly 2 bone fish on lures. Both were on 3" ghost shrimp colored swim baits.

BFs are bottom feeders and what's worked best for me has been to anchor over sand or mud bottom near grass and fish Carolina style slip sinker rigs right on the bottom. Ghost shrimp work well but I have had equal success with raw frozen head on shrimp. BFs have a small mouth so a small piece of bait is fine.

Not like it's a bad thing but about every fish in the bay will eat a shrimp. So while fishing BF you'll be weeding thru; black white n yellow fin croaker, leopard smooth hound n shovelnose sharks, bat round n thorny back rays, n spotted bass. Use cheap hooks cause you dont get most hooks back from the sharks n rays.

There are hoards of smelt in South Bay that can be chummed up with bread and caught with small sibikis. Using Smelt increases your chances of catching halibut.

Good luck n post a report. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote