View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivak View Post
Awesome video!

I fish the Kenai every year and Homer every other form the shore. I am definitely going to do the Kayak fishing this year. I might have to drive so I can bring my pro angler. I'm go in mid to late July and stay for a few weeks.

Can you share your setup with me? I know you are using a down rigger but what size, what pond test line, size of hook and what lures?

Thank you.
Thanks everyone,

Sivak,
Until i started kayak fishing, the best time of year for us was always mid to late July. Now that I am kayak fishing, I think its my least favorite time.

I'd point you first to a simple amateur website I slapped together at http://AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Feeder kings are available off Homer all year. Late July, you have a decent chance of catching other salmon as well. We are usually focused on the halibut in July off our kayaks. Unless you already have a downrigger, while they will up your odds for the kings, they aren't necessary. Though without a downrigger, I use heavier rods capable of trolling with 8 to 12 oz of weight.

I use shimano Trevala jig sticks mainly. From their lighter version to the Xtra Heavy. I use 50 pound braid, then a fluoro leader for kings (50lbs) and 200 for halibut.

All the decent size halibut shots are off of Whiskey Gulch which is 5 miles North of Anchor Point. Big tides as you know, so I would definitely read up on the section on Cook Inlet. In Simple terms, High/Low tide measured off the shore (i.e. book high tide) is NOT the same as Slack tide.

The kayaks are also awesome to float the upper and middle Kenai river. The upper is more gravel bar hopping but the middle you could pull plugs or use an indicator and beads IF you have a hobie.

Lower is crowded and I have yet to catch anything other than pinks but I am trying!

Late July is also a good time to try Resurrection Bay in Seward for Silvers...if they show up. They didn't last year.

So take a look over my website and maybe the rest of my youtube channel. I have something like over 200 videos up so there may be something of interest to you.

As I tell everyone, I am not a guide but I do make an effort to fish with as many people as I can from around the world. If we can time things correctly, I currently have 3 outbacks and a I12S inflatable. I will be adding another outback this week. Last time I checked, there were only two of us that fish but I keep them around for my friends and the once or twice a year my daughter goes out.

So the good news is any assistance I provide is free. Bad news...my family and job are higher priorities so unfortunately, plans can change. But once I commit, I am usually reliable. lol.

if you like, email me at guidesak(At)yahoo.com this is my throw away address and I will send you my email I actually use.

Let's fish!!!
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote