View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
Rudy, congratulation to your son for top youth angler in the Homer winter king salmon tournament. I hope you can post a report/video and share some details.

Hey Grey zone! Thanks! Its been a busy week. But yes, my son did win the youth Division of a powerboat tournament off his kayak. Fishing was tough.

This year the derby was delayed a week due to the harbor being iced in. That's why it was only about 2/3 last year's entries. We kayakers were ready to go but the poor powerboats just couldn't make it out of the harbor! +1 for the kayaks

Some stats:

1012 #of anglers registered. (12 kayakers)

314 # of vessels

216 # of fish called in

110 # of fish actually weighed.

Out of the kayakers, we managed three fish. I managed third in the kayak division (15.55 lbs), Ryu's fish was second at 16.55 and was the only minor registered as a kayaker . The winning kayak fish was 17.00. But I give some of the credit to Ryu as he was explaining to the other kayaker where we were fishing and what moments before the other kayaker hooked up,

The win paid off for Ryu not only in trophies and over $300 in prizes, but his win also helped him secure a place with Team Daiwa as he was able to spend time with the representative at the recent Great Alaska Sportsman Show.

So now, at 12 years old, my son is now on Team Daiwa, Hobie Fishing Team, Kokatat Fishing team and also sponsored by Alaska Raft and Kayak the retail distributor for Hobies and Kokatat here in the state. I'm a super proud dad for sure!!!

The video:

https://youtu.be/aVhQO_GdErQ

So a few pics:

Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote