View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I would advise you to test peddle one before buying. I am 6'4" but only 210# with really long legs. I own an outback and a Cobra Fish and Dive. I really like the bigger more stable kayaks. I love my Outback and I think it is the second most stable kayak with the Ocean Kayak's Big Game and the x-factor both being right after in third. The Fish and Dive's carrying capacity is far more than any other kayak on the market (600+ lbs I think), but you pay for it in speed and maneuverability. I can almost swan dive off the FND , I fall in, but the kayak does not roll! The Outback is very stable and is surprisingly fast and maneuverable with the mirage drive system. The best combination of mobility and stability IMO on the market today. The down side is it's expense. There are many kinds of kayaks out there and the salesmen will all tell you that there brand is the best......ignore most of what the salesmen say and rely on your own thoughts as to how the kayak feels for you, and your own comfort level.

In the end though, it really is something that you will have to use and enjoy so go out and see if the local dealer can get you out on a test peddle/ paddle before buying any yak!

Good Luck!
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote