View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #28
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I like the idea of a small trailer too. Doubles as a wash rack and storage rack. Wheel it around like a dolly. Everything is thigh high and easily accessible.

Use a couple of parallel PVC pipes as convenient hull sliders the way Kirk Davis did in his picture above.

Possible side tubes or long, lidded plywood boxes for stowing/locking poles and other gear that is inconvenient for a small car interior.

I had an old, small 4'x4'x1' deep box trailer from Sears once for carrying folded display panels to art shows & trade shows behind my VW Bug. Disconnected from my VW, and wheeled it right in to my booth. That would have been an oh-so-easy conversion with top tube hull sliders and compartmentalized storage inside the 1' deep box part of the trailer.

The tongue would have to be lengthened for a kayak.

Another interesting thought would be to build a set of street worthy wheels with a long lightweight tongue from steel tubing that fits in the scupper holes the way kayak cart wheels pop in. The kayak itself becomes the trailer. Maybe a couple of scrap front motorcycle wheels on a fabricated "Scupper-T"? Sounds like a fun day at a motorcycle swap meet to scrounge the parts. If your car lights are visible, I would skip the wiring altogether for a red flag on the back.

Just a thought. Lightweight motorbikes are safe and stable on the freeway, so why not? I think I would defer to Kirk for sound mechanical engineering. If the rig was light enough, it might replace overpriced deluxe Hobie wheels altogether, and deliver your kayak right into the water

Regarding your own particular travel needs, is the RV you are referring to a motorhome? That would offer some interesting space to work with too.

Pondering all of the above, I think my next vehicle will be a MB Sprinter, 4WD. I'll add a small portable toilet, portable pump shower, and re-register as a motorhome. They are 20' long and my kayak will slide in the back as easily as it does now into my 20' Chevy Express passenger van with the seats removed.

Too many toys, too little time. Yipee!

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote