Thread: 10/23 am LJ
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
ratdog

10/23 am LJ

On the water by 5:30am no wind and very glassy conditions. Made 5 Spanish macks real fast in the inside kelp. knocked on allot of doors but no one home where I was knocking. Went out the the Winter hunting grounds to about 160 ft and happened to see a small shark eyeballing my bait tube, so I paddle away from what I thought was a little MAKO. As I paddled away I get a quick zzzzz. I pick the rod up figuring the shark picked up my flylined mack. Only took a few seconds to reel it close enough to see it was a small Mako full of piss and vinegar. I played with it for about ten minutes it would take a liitle line then come right back at me. Each time it came back at me I had to get my paddle ready to wack him if he decided to come out after me (at least 5 times). Eventually I gave it some more slack and he "launches" out of the water about 15 yds behind me, now he's scaring me. eventually I tighten the drag slightly and he bites thru my 35lb mono. What a relief, I wasn't gonna gaff him, he was to unpredictable but he was 100% Mako only (30 or 40Lb)much smaller than the one I encounter 2 weeks ago in the same vicinity.

Later on my way back in I saw a school of huge bonita about 35 ft below my kayak, they would not touch my mack or b/w 6x salas. I wrapped it up at about 10am and conditions were still very glassy.

Don't call me for BS. I wasn't thinking about getting pictures

Last edited by ratdog; 10-23-2008 at 02:35 PM.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote