Thread: F'nAndy
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

Pretty good tideswing this morning. Launched around the same time as Jim and crew, Vito, Aaron and Julie. Arne had already been out there for 5-6 hours coming across the 52 it was socked in with fog around the 5, but coming over the hump and it was nice and clear at La Jolla. Surf was short interval, with some obvious "time to go" windows. My meter that I thought I'd fixed, was not, so I started arond the usual spots. Only brought a fist full of iron and a swimbait. Yoyoed around and stopped to shoot the shit with Arne. We could not talk each other into a bite, so I paddled off a little. Arne yelled that he was on and I paddled back to watch the show and snap some pix. After his fish lay dying from what I would guess was multple stab wounds and severe trauma to the head and gills I paddled off and it was my turn to yell out I was yoyoing right off the bottom in 125 feet, 3 cranks up, fish on! This 6XJR scrambled egg has caught some fish this year. Fish ran a bit and I ticked the drag a little, it ran again and I squeezed a little more drag. When I hook a fish right on the bottom, I really like them to earn every inch and I was fishing 40#. After the second run the fish circled, rod tip in the water. Could not take drag, but towed me a ways, before it slowly came up. At color it spewed a fresh looking squid. Easy WSB floater/gaff. Short and VERY stocky at 34 pounds 7 oz. The rest of the story is Fn'Arne's