Thread: My New X-13
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
red34
Junior

I took my new X-13 out today for a quick paddle and preliminary rigging check. All in all I am extremely satisfied with the boat. First off, I think that the handles that they use on this kayak are FAR SUPERIOR to the ones on the Mini-X or the Extreme or any of the other models that employ the webbing handles.

The boat felt very stable under me (I’m 6’ - 220lbs). There was a tiny bit of water in the foot wells and a tiny bit under my seat. I am at the weight limit of what they guys at Malibu recommend for this kayak (for the person, not the max limit) and it really isn’t too bad. I had a lot of my gear in the kayak and did not plug the front hatch so I would assume it would be a bit drier with that plugged.

First thing I noticed is how far it will continue to go after you quit paddling. This is a really fast, straight tracking boat. I’m not one for paddling miles and miles and I was pretty surprised at how far out I would be after only a few strokes. It very slightly wanted to turn into the wind and waves, but I think that’s pretty natural for most boats, but overall very straight tracking w/o a rudder. I also shallow tested it and it will float in just a few inches of water.

I was able to transition to sitting side saddle which is how I generally fish, scoot my way up to the front hatch, and reach around to my crate with ease. I really never even got close to dumping the boat. It is pretty low to the water, which is probably where most of that stability comes from.

Now for the negatives… There was a little water in my seat, which I personally don’t like. I think that on calm water plugging the seat would be fine, but obviously not in the surf due to the need for the seat to drain. There was a tiny bit of bow slap when quartering into the waves. I personally don’t consider this a negative because the bow flare that makes this happen, is necessary not to get your cockpit washed out when heading out through the surf…or any rough water for that matter. I bought this boat for breaking through the surf and trolling long distances BTB with ease and I think it’s really going to do that and handle the lakes and bays with ease and comfort.

Other than those tiny details, I am very happy with this kayak. It’s definitely the most versatile boat that I’ve owned so far.

I’ll keep my rigging pics coming as I continue working with it.
red34 is offline   Reply With Quote