View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #26
payaso del mar
Junior

more on the Honda 2hp

also own a 2hp honda for sevl years and concur with Joe somewhat. the thing is noisy as hell....i worry about waking up the cruisers sleeping on sailboats in the marina when i come in at night! it's louder just off idle than my 8hp Rude is at 3/4 throttle. i can only imagine what it would sound like with that nice aluminum resonance chamber you're building.... beautiful fabrication work, BTW!

the leakage of oil can be avoided by being careful to never set it down on wrong side, as with most 4 stroke motors. but you'll never get the gas cap & vent opening sealed well enough to keep gas in (MR Honda lies when he says you can), so plan on draining it when you shut it down, or monitor your fuel so you nearly run it dry when you come in.

aside from the noise, great motor. one guy on Trailer Sailors shoved his MacGregor 26 sailboat at 5 knots with one; it will get maybe 7 (statute) mph on the 12' portabote per my GPS. it might be a little underpowered to battle wind on the open ocean. fact that it's 100% air cooled (unlike the "air cooled" outboards of yore, which often still used a water pump to cool exhaust leg) means it's a great flats and shallow water motor since it cannot suck silt, not that this would help for your application.

bottom line based on what i've learned about the 2hp is i like the 4 stroke and the honda aspects (it's a CT50 trailbike motor with a prop!) but i might go for something a tiny bit larger and water cooled if i had to do it again.........
payaso del mar is offline   Reply With Quote