View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpcode3 View Post
Pretty cool rigging there Jim. Is that basically what the Mc Cast is on the Avets?

Yes it's the same idea.

People have been doing this for years, with either fixed magnets or adjustable ones where the distance of the magnet to the spool is adjustable.

All you have to do to make one that is adjustable is drill a hole in the side plate stick a bolt in it, stick the magnets on the end of the bolt and then adjust the distance from the spool by turning the bolt in and an out.

Penn has had a very successful adjustable mag for years the 525 mag which in my opinion is a brilliant reel for 30 pound spectra and cheap as you can get them online for around $130

When Avet produced their reels a number of people started magging them. Since they had no cast controls and have such great bearings and free spool it was a good match. All Avet did was incorporate the ideas or the mods people were putting on their reels and market a version of it.

I have not had one apart but I imagine that it's just a rare earth magnet with some kind of system to raise and lower it, or adjust it's distance from the spool. Closer to the spool means more adjustment or breaking further from it means less.

Here's a video of someone using the Magic Cast magged version of the SX at lupe' as you can see he got the same results.

I'm surprised more of you guys don't find this interesting. I just think it's cool!!!

My next version is going to be a adjustable Saltist 30.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote