View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

It sounds to me that Mr. Tranquility is a stand up guy who has probably learned from this incident. The kayaker is probably really pissed off and that is understandable but I bet he does not understand how lucky he is that people came to his aid. Without a PFD, he could have been toast.

I do not defend the fact that the sportfisher was probably going too fast for the conditions. I suspect that next time he will dial things down a notch. On the other hand, as someone mentioned, there are cruise ships and Navy boats galore out there and they are not bound by the "yield to unpowered boats" rules. We in the tiny plastic boats need to keep our eyes open. In my mind, kayaking in a busy shipping channel is kind of like riding a motorcycle on a busy freeway.

The bottom line is we all have to turn on our brains before we get out on the water. Kayakers need to be careful and power boaters need to be courteous. As someone said earlier in this post... What goes around, comes around. That is a good thought to live by.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 08-16-2009 at 09:05 AM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote