View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
FISHIONADO

Any takers for that bottle of Old No.7? I'm expecting to catch my first YFT.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_13165787

Last Wednesday, the Toronado from Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach was on the bank enjoying good yellowtail fishing. The yellowtail were mostly in the 15- to 30-pound range and were biting live squid, sardines and lures. At noon, the bite seemed to be picking up, when one angler hooked up with a yellowtail suddenly hooked something even bigger. Not only that, but all the other anglers on board stopped getting bites. One minute, it was hook up after hook up; the next it was as though the ocean was vacant.

After a long struggle, a mammoth 250-pound black seabass surfaced. The seabass had swallowed a 25-pound yellowtail whole and had scared any yellowtail nearby away. "I know this fish," said Ray Lagmay, skipper of the Toronado. "This is the same black seabass we caught and released (on Sunday)," he said. Lagmay said it had all the same markings and was the excat same monster as the one that had swallowed another angler's yellowtail Sunday. All black seabass must be returned, as was this one again.as this one was.

For Earl McVicar, from Torrance, just seeing this magnificent fish made his trip. "What an incredible sight," he said.

Prior to the 1950's, giant black seabass could be found in large numbers in Southern California waters. Due to overfishing, the population dwindled to the point where California passed legislation to provide full and total protection of the species. It seems to have worked as more black seabass than ever are now being caught and released on a regular basis.

Yellowfins are jumping: The Toronado, with several hours left in her fishing day had 25 yellowtail on board along with a myriad of tasty-eating bottom fish. Bluefin tuna have also been roaming around the bank adding to the great variety now available to South Bay anglers.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote