View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I am far from being as well informed on all the details of this thing as Paul and a number of others, but several things jump out at me as significant potential weapons in our ongoing fight.

Top of the list is the cost. So there is the MLPA. On paper it's a good thing. Its implementation as envisioned by the BLTF is way over the top, however. Ignore for the moment that the closure locations were seldom based on any accepted science and that backroom deals purchased by special interests were the norm during this process. The net result is that the cost of putting this thing into effect far exceeds the resources of the agencies who will be tasked with enforcement. If a law is not enforced, is it a valid law? When was the last time you drove 55 mph on I-5?

Was the process corrupt. You bet. I am sure that just on that basis alone, implementation could be tied up in court for years. The cost of defending will have to be picked up by the State. Our State, the one that has no money to pay for our kids' education or keep dangerous criminals in prison. If someone takes this thing to court, maybe the powers that be will see the sensible side of things and just back away from the fight.

ADA issues were brought up by some speakers at the last BRTF meeting. The ADA is a very powerful law with some very powerful backers. The fact that many of the launch locations friendly to those with handicaps will soon be "verboten" might get some of the ADA activists into our camp. Maybe we should ask for their help.

My point is that since we appear to have failed to get a reasonable result by following the rules of the MLPA process, maybe it is time to switch to some other tactics.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote