View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #26
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Nearly forty years ago, I worked with a semi-legendary guy named Bob Shea. Bob, at that time, was Captain of the San Diego Lifeguard Service. That year, Bob was also the reigning world champion spear fisherman. This guy could free dive to untold depths to chase down his prey. He was very good at his chosen sport.

It was a much simpler time back then. Once every summer the Lifeguards would have a huge party, usually on beach front City property with the other law enforcement agencies looking the other way. There would be lots of booze, great food and many pretty young girls, (this was before there were any women Lifeguards in the service).

For many years running, Bob and a couple of other world class speros who worked for the Lifeguard service, would take a day off and go foraging for fish to be served at this event. This particular year, the dive spot was somewhere off of San Clemente Island. As the story was told to me, Bob was suspended in the water at about 20 feet when he saw a huge shadow below him. He dove to see what was there and came face to face with an enormous Black Sea Bass.

This was long before Black Sea Bass were considered endangered. They were not on any protected list. In fact, I am not sure there was such a thing as the Endangered Species List back then. In any case, at this point in time, BSB were fair game, so Bob took his shot.

By the time the boat returned home, Bob's trophy fish had been strapped to the swim step drying out for nearly two days. It weighed in at something like 510 pounds. (There is a photo of this fish at the Diving Locker in PB if you doubt my story.)The world record for this species at the time was just a few pounds more. Everyone believes that this would have been a world record fish if it had been weighed when freshly caught.

As I mentioned before, it was a much simpler time back then. Most of us did not have a clue about things such as how to protect the environment or responsible fishery management. It was the wild west. We were ignorant about many things but had individual freedoms unthinkable in today's world.

Bob spent the better part of a day butchering his fish on his lawn in PB. One huge 8 inch thick fillet was donated to the Lifeguard Party. It fed the entire San Diego Lifeguard service as well as our dates and a few City big shots. (We also had plenty of abalone, remember them?).

This was the only time I have ever tasted Black Sea Bass. It was a long time ago but in my memory, it was the best tasting fish I have ever eaten.

The point of this story is that we have come a long way in 40 years. Back then, BSB were plentiful. In a few short years, they were nearly gone along with the White Sea Bass and Abalone. The good news is that, thanks to strict controls on pesticides, reduced pollution and sensible fisheries management, the WSB population has recovered fully and the Black Sea Bass are coming back.

Will I ever have a chance to taste that sweet white meat again? I hope so, but then maybe it is better to just cherish the memory of that warm summer night with a beautiful companion on my arm and some of the best that Mom Nature can provide sitting comfortably in my belly.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote