View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
-scallywag-
Banned

Good timing on this thread, I just serviced some reels last night and will finish the rest tonight.

The TLD leverdrag series are my favorite kayak trolling reels but the one weekness is the factory "dry drag washer", as soon as it gets a little wet they start sticking, the greasable carbontex washers are the ticket.

That bearing blaster is cool, but I like running the brearings in my trolling rods with the shields removed and packed with grease. On my sealines/penn 545's i like to just bite the bullet and put new bearing on the spool when they start feeling rough, I would like to try the bearing blaster with these reels, but IMO nothing beats new spool bearings and greasy washers (they're only 10-15 bucks a set at squidco).

Having a dedicated light flyline setup is a good idea, especially in the spring/summer, and the TLD perfect, but you should seriously consider spooling it up with 30-50lb spectra, and using an assortment of flouro leaders connected via a barrel swivel. Kayaks allow you to put your bait in the ambush zone near the kelp and having 50lb spectra with a short #20 or 30 flouro leader will most likely be the difference between being a hero or heartbreak.
I can't wait till sat/sunday, we finally get to fish again!!!! see u guys OTW
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote